Emerging Founders: Resourcing Top Next Generation Entrepreneurs to Build Redemptive Ventures
Emerging Founders is a summer-long immersion for top next generation founders who work full-time on their venture and are personally mentored by the Praxis team and community in the ways and practices of redemptive entrepreneurship.
APPLICATIONS: JANUARY 22 - MARCH 1
PROGRAM: JUNE 4 - AUGUST 4, 2018
APPLY LATE | LEARN MORE | MEET THE 2017 EMERGING FOUNDERS
Emerging Founders is for next-generation founders who seek to build redemptive ventures -- be it a business, nonprofit, or social enterprise. Each year, we search far and wide to find a cohort of high-capacity leaders who are current undergraduates or recent graduates and invite them into the Praxis community through this highly selective program. Our holistic approach to the success of the venture and the entrepreneur creates a unique experience that is a hybrid between an early-stage startup accelerator and leadership development program.
June 4 - August 4, 2018
Applications are open to current undergraduates and those who have graduated within the past ~5 years (exceptions are considered); must be a Founder or Co-Founder of a venture and one of the lead decision makers working full-time on their venture during the program.
In-person events are in New York City (Induction) and Los Angeles (Capstone). In-between the two events, Founders work full-time on their venture (from anywhere of their choosing) and participate in bi-weekly video sessions that include Praxis exclusive content on venture building, coaching, a speaker series, and more.
WHAT EMERGING FOUNDERS GET
Emerging Founders is a non-residential, mentorship and community oriented program that is unique in its holistic approach to both the venture and the entrepreneur. The experience includes two in-person events to start and end the program, with bi-weekly video calls in between, allowing the entrepreneur to continue working full-time on their venture without having to move to NYC for the summer.
- 9-week mentorship driven immersion on building a redemptive venture.
- Induction Week at the Praxis HQ in NYC, where you meet your cohort and have personal access to a curated group of 15 mentors to help advance your venture.
- Personal mentorship from the Praxis Team: An experienced group of entrepreneurs & leaders.
- Exclusive curriculum on how to build a Redemptive venture.
- Speaker Series, learning from a variety of top entrepreneurs and cultural thinkers, including:
- Evan Baehr (co-founder of Able and author of Get Backed)
- Jena Lee Nardella (co-founder of Blood:Water Mission when she was just 22 years old and author, 1000 Wells)
- Andy Crouch (author of Culture Making and Playing God)
- Jessica Kim (serial entrepreneur who raised $1m for her first venture as an undergrad)
- The opportunity to build deep, life-long relationships with an outstanding group of shared-faith peers in the Emerging Founders Cohort.
- Paid Seat in the Leadership track at the 2018 Praxis Academy, where you'll learn from founders who are leading the charge on Redemptive Entrepreneurship, have exclusive opportunities to dive deep with the speakers, and pitch your idea in front of a group of ~200 high-capacity, values-aligned peers (some of whom we hope might become your future teammates!).
STIPEND & FEES
Emerging Founders is a one of a kind opportunity for top founders to work full-time on their venture for the summer without incurring debt or exchanging equity:
- Praxis provides a travel stipend to cover flight costs to the two in-person mentorship events in New York City and Los Angeles.
- Praxis covers all costs at the events, including lodging, transportation and meals.
- Praxis does not take equity in the venture -- Emerging Founders is made possible thanks to the support of generous individuals and partners.
Josh Payne, a CS Major from Stanford and 2017 Praxis Emerging Founder, sharing the vision for his startup, APFYT, at the 2017 Academy. The Emerging Founders program includes coaching on story, pitch decks and fundraising, as well as an opportunity to present in front of a highly engaged audience at the Annual Academy.
WE LOOK FOR FOUNDERS WHO ARE...
- Undergraduates or Recent College Graduates (within ~3 years).
- The Founder or Co-Founder of a venture that is beyond the "dreaming" or "idea" stage.
- Serious about their Christian faith with a desire to build Redemptive Entrepreneurship into their venture.
- High-capacity and action-oriented; grades don't matter as much as demonstrated experience.
- Working full-time on the venture for Summer 2018 (June - September).
- Individuals who are the Lead decision maker in the organization, although certain exceptions are considered; applicants can also apply as co-founders.
LEADING VENTURES THAT ARE...
- Seeking to solve a significant social/cultural problem -- the problem and your vision are more important than the specific idea
- Across all legal structures: Business, Nonprofits, Social Enterprise -- we believe different problems require different legal structures
- Beyond the "Idea" stage; we look for Founders who have put some effort into their ideas and are not just in the dream-land state of thinking about doing something; we look for great founders who have thoughtful ideas; our program has the ability to work with Founders at each stage of the cycle, from Idea to Concept; Concept to Launch; Launch to Prove; and Prove to Scale.
APPLY | NOMINATE A CANDIDATE | BACK TO TOP
LEARN ABOUT THE ANNUAL ACADEMY: OUR WEEK-LONG INTENSIVE
Josh Kwan and Jessica Kim share lessons on raising capital and building relationships with potential funders. Both seasoned veterans in the space, they are just two of the dozens of mentors whom Emerging Founders learn from on a variety of topics.